It's not just a landmark, it's a destination.

About

History

September 4, 1925

The Alexander Theatre opened as a Vaudeville house and movie palace.

1920s-1950s

The Theatre served as a preview house for major Hollywood studio films, drawing the most glamorous stars of its day, including Elizabeth Taylor, Charlie Chaplin, Bing Crosby, and
Barbara Stanwyck.

1940

The iconic marquee and 100-foot tall Art Deco neon tower with chasing colored lights and sparkling sphere were added to the exterior. The Theatre’s name was officially shortened to “Alex”.

1991

After screening first-run blockbuster films such as Ben Hur, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Hunt for Red October over the course of 60 years, the Alex ceased operations on September 26, 1991 with a screening of Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

1992

The Glendale Redevelopment Agency purchased the Alex Theatre to serve as the centerpiece of Glendale’s revitalized Brand Boulevard and embarked on a $6.5 million rehabilitation of the facility.

1993, New Year’s Eve

The Alex Theatre opened as a 1,413-seat performing arts and entertainment center. The new facility included a stage expansion and new seating layouts, theatrical systems, and screen.

1993-Present

The Alex has hosted thousands of programs and activities since its reopening and welcomes an average of 100,000 patrons through its doors annually. It is home to resident companies such as the Alex Film Society, Glendale Youth Orchestra, Los Angeles Ballet, and Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, and hosts a variety of music, dance, theatre, comedy, film, and special events each season.

1996

The Alex Theatre was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

July 1, 2008

Glendale Arts was established as a private non-profit organization charged with managing the Alex Theatre.

July 1, 2013

The Theatre broke ground on a 6,600 square foot expansion of its backstage facilities.

May 2014

Following eleven months of construction, the Expansion Project is completed. The upgraded amenities include additional dressing rooms, storage and shop space, the installation of a new freight elevator to access the street and subterranean levels, a new passenger elevator, and additional stair and hallway access to assist with loading.